Espresso flavored cake sponge brushed with a coffee-liqueur syrup and filled with a Mascarpone Cheese Whipped Cream.
Tiramisu Cake Roll
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 3 Hours
FOR THE CAKE
- 1/2 cup cake flour plus more for dusting the pan.
- 5 eggs , room temperature, separated,
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons butter , melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
FOR THE SYRUP
- 1/2 cup brewed espresso
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico
FOR THE FILLING
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- Cocoa for Dusting
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly coat a jelly roll pan (18×13) with baking spray and line with parchment paper.
- Spray parchment paper with baking spray and dust with flour; shake off any excess flour and set aside.
- In your mixer’s bowl, beat together yolks, vanilla, and 1/2 cup sugar at high speed until thick and pale yellow; about 10 minutes.
- Add half of flour to yolks-mixture and fold it in gently.
- Add the rest of the flour and fold in gently. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, salt and cream of tartar; beat at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to beat until whites just hold stiff peaks.
- Fold 1/4 of whites into yolk mixture, then fold in remaining whites until thoroughly combined.
- Pour melted butter in a small mixing bowl.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the prepared cake batter into melted butter.
- Gently fold the butter mixture back into the batter; fold until thoroughly combined.
- Spread batter evenly in previously prepared pan; rap pan once on counter to eliminate air bubbles.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when you touch it.
- Sift powdered sugar over cake; cover cake with a kitchen towel and a baking sheet.
- Holding sheet and cake pan together, flip cake onto cloth on baking sheet. Carefully peel off the parchment paper. Use oven mitts!
- Using the towel, roll up cake, jelly-roll style, keeping it wrapped in the towel.
- Place cake seam-side down on a rack, still wrapped in the towel, and cool completely.
In the meantime, prepare the syrup.
- Combine espresso and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir until sugar dissolves, then boil until liquid is reduced to a 1/4 cup.
- Remove from heat and stir in Frangelico; let cool to room temperature.
Make the Filling
- Combine mascarpone, sugar, cinnamon and Frangelico in a large bowl; beat with a mixer until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat heavy cream until it just holds stiff peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture until combined.
- Gently unroll cooled cake on a baking sheet, keeping it on the towel.
- Brush cake with the espresso syrup.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the whipped cream filling evenly over cake, leaving a 1/2-inch border all around.
- Starting from long side nearest you, roll up cake without towel, leaving it seam-side down on baking sheet.
- Dust with cocoa powder.
- Cut and Serve.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!