A super rich, moist and FLUFFY chocolate cake topped with a decadent fudge buttercream.
The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup sour cream 115g
- 1 cup buttermilk 236mL
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup coffee 354mL, strong and hot
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil 177mL
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 15mL
- 3 cup all-purpose flour 360g
- 2 2/3 cup granulated sugar 530g
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder 50g
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 6g
- 1 tablespoon baking soda 18g
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt 4g
For the Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter 330g
- ½ cup cocoa powder 50g
- 3/4 teaspoon salt 4g
- 1 pound confectioners sugar 453g, sifted
- ⅓ cup fudge 100g OR ganache
For the Cake:
- Preheat to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch cake pan with parchment.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the sour cream, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and vegetable oil into a medium bowl and whisk together then pour in the coffee and mix once more.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl.
- Whisk to combine then mix on low for about a minute.
- Pour batter into the lined pan. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then invert onto wire rack. Peel parchment paper off and let cool fully.
For the Frosting:
- If you’re using a nice runny fudge then have that ready. If you don’t have that on hand then melt about 1/4 cup milk or cream with 1/4 cup dark chocolate, mix to combine then set aside to cool. Cream butter in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat in cocoa powder and salt and mix until combined.
- Add the confectioners sugar in a few batches mixing in on low. Scrape the bowl down and mix once more.
- Add fudge or ganache in and mix until well combined. You can add milk or cream in a tablespoon at a time to thin the consistency out If needed.
For the Assembly:
- Add buttercream to the top of the cake with an ice cream scooper. Spread over with an offset spatula.
- Decorate with sprinkles, chopped toasted nuts or shaved chocolate
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!