What makes this sweet potato cake so completely irresistible? We think it’s the frosting. It’s got a super fun secret ingredient—marshmallow fluff! Sweet potato casserole lovers will FLIP.
Sweet Potato Cake
YIELDS: 12 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 30 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 2 HOURS 0 MINS
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powders
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c. mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (7-oz.) container marshmallow fluff (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Chopped toasted pecans, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°, grease 2 9″ cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Make cakes: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking, soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In another large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla and sweet potatoes until just combined.
- Add half the dry ingredients and half the buttermilk and beat on low to combine. Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients and the remaining buttermilk and beat until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans and bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool on a cooling rack while you make your frosting.
- Make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, add butter and beat on medium-high speed until smooth. Add marshmallow fluff, salt, and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue adding sugar 1/2 cup at a time until frosting is completely smooth and looks fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread one round cake layer with marshmallow frosting, then place second cake on top of it. Frost top of cake, then sprinkle pecans around the outer edge of the top cake.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!