Looking for a way to have pasta, but remain healthy? This stuffed spaghetti squash with tomato and ground beef helps you get over all your cravings, all the while removing those carbs!
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr, 15
- 3 lb spaghetti squash
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 portobello mushroom, halved and sliced
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- Parmesan cheese for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400F. Stab a knife into the spaghetti squash randomly about half a dozen times to allow steam to release. Place on a baking sheet and cooking for 30-40 minutes, or until a knife can pierce through the skin easily. Slice in half and allow to cool. Remove seeds. Using a fork, run it inside the squash to create the spaghetti “noodles.”
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until meat is browned. Mix in tomatoes, green pepper, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with thyme, oregano, and cayenne. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350F. Add the sauce on top of your prepared squash halves. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Bake for 10 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.
I cook the filling while the squash is baking so that the meal can be completed quicker.