For this Chinese-inspired take on cookout chicken, leg quarters are brushed with a simple glaze of soy sauce and sugar while grilling. The bird’s crackly, burnished skin is the perfect partner to rice salad with broccoli and thin-sliced radishes.
Soy-Glazed Chicken with Rice Salad
YIELDS: 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 20 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 0 MINS
- 3/4 c. long-grain white rice
- 1 1/4 c. water
- 3 tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 4 chicken-leg quarters
- 2 tbsp. light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Hot pepper sauce
- 10 oz. frozen cut broccoli
- 5 radishes
- 1/2 small red onion
- Prepare grill for direct grilling on medium.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat rice and water to boiling on high. Reduce heat to maintain simmer; cover and cook 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes, covered. Fluff with fork; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat soy sauce, sugar, and 2 teaspoons vinegar to simmering on medium-high, stirring. Reduce heat to simmer 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper; grill, covered, 25 minutes, turning over once. Brush soy mixture over chicken; grill, uncovered, 5 to 6 minutes, until instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part reads 165 degrees F, turning and brushing with soy mixture frequently.
- In large bowl, whisk mayonnaise, remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, oil, hot sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Add broccoli, radishes, red onion, and cooled rice; stir to combine. Serve alongside chicken.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!