Cinnamon rolls are made with sweet dough and laced with gooey cinnamon sugar goodness that would have you licking your fingers clean and reaching out for more!
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hrs 30 mins
- 1/3 cup water (warm)
- 2 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast (1 package)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup milk (lukewarm)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon Sugar Filling:
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Make the dough:
- Whisk 4 cups of flour and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Add instant yeast, 1 tablespoon of sugar and lukewarm water to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, milk, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and melted butter to the yeast mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mix and using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir until well combined.
- The dough will be sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 10 minutes, preferably in a warm place.
Make Cinnamon Sugar Filling:
- In a small bowl whisk together the dark brown sugar with the ground cinnamon until fully combined. Set aside. You will use the butter to spread it on the dough.
Prepare the Rolls:
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Place an oven rack into the middle of the oven.
- Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray it with baking spray.
- Flour a flat surface and roll the dough. You will need a good amount of flour, use it liberally on your hands, rolling pin and also sprinkle the dough with some.
- Roll the dough until it’s about 16 inches long by 13 inches wide and it should be about 1/4 inch thick. It is important for the dough to not be very thin, as it won’t be able to hold well the filling.
- When rolling, make sure the dough doesn’t stick to the surface.
- Spread the 1/2 cup of softened butter over the entire surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar evenly over the surface of the dough.
- Starting at the long edge, away from you, roll the dough down to the bottom edge.
- Cut the dough into 12 two-inch slices and place the rolls into the prepared baking pan.
- Let the rolls rest for 10 minutes, during which the will rise a bit.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Make the Cream Cheese Icing:
- Add the cream cheese and butter to a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and pinch of salt and mix until smooth. Stop to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula.
- If the icing is too stiff, add 1 tablespoon of milk.
Icing the Rolls:
- Once the rolls are done baking, remove from oven and immediately ice the rolls.
- Preferably serve warm, but they are great at room temperature as well.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!