This zoodle bake is far from boring—make it when you’re craving comfort food sans guilt. French onion soup lovers, this one is definitely for you.
French Onion Chicken Zoodle Bake
YIELDS: 6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 15 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINS
- 3 lb. zucchini, spiralized
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 lb. thin chicken cutlets
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. dry sherry
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 1/2 c. shredded fontina
- In a colander set over a bowl, toss zoodles with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Let zoodles drain of excess moisture while you cook the chicken and onions.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet, working in batches. Cook until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a work surface.
- Return skillet to medium heat and melt butter. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and jammy, about 20 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, stir in sherry and thyme and simmer until almost completely reduced, about 2 minutes. Melt cream cheese into onion mixture and remove skillet from heat.
- Use a clean dish towel (or several paper towels) to squeeze as much moisture as possible out of the zucchini noodles. Thinly slice chicken. In a large bowl, stir drained zucchini noodles and sliced chicken into onion mixture. Transfer to a baking dish. Top with cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and slightly golden, about 20 minutes. If you’d like to develop a more golden top, broil on high for 2 minutes.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!