The holidays aren’t the holidays without eggnog. This layer cake takes cues from the classic holiday drink for a perfectly decadent and festive dessert. We’d take a slice of this over a Christmas cookie any day.
Eggnog Spice Cake
YIELDS: 6 – 8 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 25 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 50 MINS
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 c. store-bought eggnog
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 (3.4-0z) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 c. cold store-bought eggnog
- 1/4 c. bourbon
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 c. cool whip
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 5 c. powder sugar
- 1/2 c. store-bought eggnog
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray two 8-inch cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with parchment; spray parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and beat until fully combined. Add dry mixture and beat until combined. Add eggnog and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 44 minutes. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make pudding: In a large bowl, whisk pudding mix, eggnog, bourbon, and nutmeg and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip.
- Make frosting: In another large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter with half the powdered sugar until smooth. Add remaining powdered sugar, eggnog, and salt and beat until fluffy. If mixture is too stiff, add more eggnog.
- Transfer half the frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a ½-inch round pastry tip.
- Level the top of each cake with a serrated knife to create even layers. Place down one cake and pipe frosting around the perimeter of the cake. Fill in center with vanilla pudding. Top with remaining cake.
- Using about 1 1/2 cups of frosting, smooth a crumb coat around outside of the cake. Transfer cake to refrigerator until frosting is hardened, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Spread outside of cake with remaining frosting.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!