This Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe is as classic as it gets – homemade shortcake biscuits, juicy strawberries and homemade whipped cream!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 6 tbsp (78g) sugar
- 3 cups (390g) all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp (78g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy whipping cream or heavy cream, plus 1 tbsp (15ml), divided
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Coarse sugar
- 2 cups (480ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- To prepare the strawberries, toss them with the sugar to combine and let sit for at least 2 hours to draw out the juices. These can be made the night before using, if you like. The longer they sit, the more juices are drawn out.
- To make the biscuits, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and whisk together.
- Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until course crumbs are formed. The largest butter pieces should be about the size of small peas.
- Combine the one cup of heavy cream, egg and vanilla extract.
- Pour the cream mixture over the flour mixture and stir together just until it starts to come together. Do not over mix. Mixture will still be crumbly.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring it all together to form a ball. Gently flatten out and then fold in thirds, folding the left side over onto the middle, then the right side over onto the middle. Lightly pat back out into a square about 1 inch thick.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits. Gather together the scraps, fold together once and pat back into a square to cut out remaining biscuits. You should be able to get 7-9 biscuits. Dip the biscuit cutter into flour between cuts, to keep it from sticking. When cutting out the biscuits, press straight down. Do not twist.
- Place the biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet at least 2 1/2 inches apart.
- Combine the other egg and 1 tablespoon of cream and brush the tops of the biscuits with the egg wash. Sprinkle the tops with some coarse sugar.
- Bake the biscuits for 17-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- When ready to serve, make the whipped cream. Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and whip on high speed until medium to stiff peaks form.
- Cut the biscuits in half horizontally, then fill with strawberries and their juices and whipped cream.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!