Blueberries shine in this pie. The pie is lightly sweetened with a touch of spice from allspice and cinnamon. To top the pie, we like to add a lattice crust. It is simpler than it may seem, we’ve provided instructions below for you. If you prefer, you can also top the pie with a full sheet of pastry, just be sure to cut a few slits to allow steam to escape before baking.
Easy Homemade Blueberry Pie
Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 Minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 Minutes
- Pie dough for top and bottom 9-inch pie,
- 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup (130 to 150 grams) granulated sugar, adjusted according to sweetness of berries
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds (900 grams) fresh blueberries (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small squares
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar, for garnish
PREPARE BOTTOM CRUST
- Roll out half of the pie dough to fit an 8- or 9-inch pie dish. To prevent the dough from sticking and to ensure uniform thickness, roll from the center of the dough outwards and keep lifting up and turning the dough a quarter turn as you roll.
- Check for the correct size by inverting the pie dish over the dough. The dough should be about 2 inches larger than the dish.
- Being careful not to stretch the dough, fit into pie dish then trim dough to within 3/4-inch of the edge of the dish. Refrigerate while you make the pie filling.
MAKE PIE FILLING
- Stir sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, allspice, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add blueberries and gently toss to combine. Transfer the blueberry filling to the prepared pie crust. Refrigerate while you prepare the lattice crust.
ASSEMBLE AND ADD LATTICE CRUST
- Roll out the second half of dough to a similar size as before. Cut into 3/4-inch strips. Lay five strips over filled pie, parallel and equally spaced from one another.
- Carefully fold back the second and fourth strips then lay another strip of dough perpendicular to them. Unfold second and fourth strips over new strip. Fold back the first, third and fifth strips then lay another strip of dough perpendicular to them. Unfold the first, third and fifth strips over the new strip. Repeat until pie has been covered with a lattice crust.
- Trim dough strips to 3/4-inch of the edge of dish. Fold edges of strips and bottom dough underneath itself, creating a thicker border that rests on the lip of the dish. Crimp edges.
- Dot the butter over the open areas of the lattice. Make egg wash by whisking egg yolk and cream together then brush over pie dough. Sprinkle tablespoon of coarse sugar over crust. Refrigerate pie 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes before baking.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Position an oven rack in the lower third of the oven then place a baking sheet on rack. (The baking sheet will catch any drips from the pie while baking).
- Bake chilled pie on hot baking sheet for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees F then continue to bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and juices in the filling are bubbling eagerly. If, while baking, the crust begins to brown too much, cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake until done.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!