This crispy parmesan chicken might taste sinful, but we promise it’s low in calories and fat.
Crispy Parmesan Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 c. nonfat or lowfat buttermilk (shake well before using)
- Nonstick spray
- 1/2 c. whole-wheat flour (or any other type of flour)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp. skim milk (or water)
- 2 tsp. Hot sauce
- 3/4 c. finely grated Parmesan
- 1/4 c. ground flaxseed
- Holding your knife parallel to the cutting board, carefully slice into each breast horizontally, taking care not to slice all the way through the meat. Fold each breast open like a book so it lies flat.
- Place the breasts in a ziptop plastic bag. Add the buttermilk to the bag and seal it. Squish the contents around to ensure all of the chicken is coated with buttermilk. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil, and coat the foil with nonstick spray.
- Set out 3 shallow dishes for a three-step breading station. In the first dish, combine the flour, onion powder, salt and pepper; mix well. In the second dish, combine the egg whites, milk and hot sauce; whisk together until slightly frothy. In the third dish, combine the Parmesan and flaxseed; mix well.
- Shake the excess buttermilk off one of the chicken breasts, and press it into the first dish, coating both sides with seasoned flour. Shake off the excess flour, then dip it into the second dish, coating both sides with egg mixture. Finally, lay the chicken in the third dish, coating both sides with the cheese-flaxseed mixture. Place the breast on the prepared baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining 3 chicken breasts.
- Mist the top of each breast with nonstick spray. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!