This Crispy Chicken Burger is absolutely DELICIOUS! Chicken is marinated in buttermilk and then double dredged in a spiced flour mixture. It’s comfort food that will surely make your belly happy!
Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Burger
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Marinade: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 16 minutes
Servings: 2 burgers
- 1/2 cup buttermilk -or make your own per text above.
- 1 tbsp sriracha -or your favourite hot sauce
- 1 chicken breast -about half a pound (mine was about 9 oz)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- canola or corn oil -enough to come up 1.5-2 inches up side of pot
- shredded lettuce
- Cut chicken in half length wise.
- Mix sriracha (or hot sauce) with buttermilk. Place chicken in buttermilk mixture and place in fridge for an hour.
- In a bowl mix together flour and all spices. Stir to combine.
- After an hour remove chicken breast pieces and shake off excess buttermilk.
- Dredge chicken breast pieces in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Dunk chicken pieces again in buttermilk, shaking off excess. Dredge again in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- In a large pot with high sides (I used a high sided cast iron pot) or large dutch oven, add oil (enough to come up 1.5-2 inches up side of pot). You want a temperature of about 350 F.
- I heated the oil to about 360 F as the temperature will drop when the chicken is added.
- Carefully place chicken pieces in hot oil and cook about 3 minutes per side or until cooked through and juices run clear. Note: Depending on thickness of piece of chicken, may have to cook longer. See notes below.
- To assemble crispy chicken burgers spread mayo on buns, top with chicken and garnished with shredded lettuce. Enjoy!
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!