If you haven’t tried a tres leches cake, you haven’t lived. This Chocolate Tres Leches Cake has the most amazing flavor ever! Made with three milks, this cake is a crowd pleaser. Served at birthday parties and major holidays, this is cake is sure to become a tradition.
Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
For the cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong hot coffee
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- ¾ cup half and half
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups very cold heavy cream
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- For the cake, put flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- In a stand mixer, mix the buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla together. Slowly add in the mix of dry ingredients while the mixer is on low. Add the coffee and make sure everything is combined. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back when you touch it.
- While the cake is still warm, poke lots of holes all over the cake with a small skewer or a fork.
Make the filling:
- Whisk sweetened condensed milk, half-and-half, evaporated milk, and 3 tablespoons cocoa powder together in a bowl. The cocoa may not completely dissolve, but whisk until it is mostly incorporated.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture evenly over the warm cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
Make the Whipped Cream Topping:
- *Refrigerate the bowl of a stand mixer for 10 minutes to get it cold.*
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.
- Beat the cold heavy cream in the cold stand mixer bowl using the whisk attachment for 1 minute.
- Add half of the sugar/cocoa powder mixture. Beat until it is fully mixed in, then add the remaining sugar mixture.
- Continue to beat until soft peaks form and the mixture is spreadable. It should be fluffy and light.
Assemble the cake:
- Spread the chocolate whipped cream on the cooled cake.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup or sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!