Rich and delicious chocolate cake with a cookies and cream buttercream frosting.
Chocolate Cookies and Cream Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 38 minutes
Total Time: 53 minutes
For the cake:
- 1½ cups King Arthur Multi-Purpose gluten free flour or a gluten free flour that works for your dietary needs
- 1 1/2 cups Namaste Perfect Flour Blend or a gluten free flour that works for your dietary needs
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegan buttery spread
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups cold water
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan buttery spread
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 3-5 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 6 chocolate sandwich cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place a circle of parchment paper on the bottom two 8-inch cake pans, then grease them with vegan buttery spread and dust them with cocoa powder.
- Place the gluten free flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Measure the 2/3 cup of vegan buttery spread into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 20-30 seconds until melted. Put the melted buttery spread into a mixing bowl along with the cane sugar and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, water, and vinegar to the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed until smooth and combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-38 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pan, then once they are cool, run a knife around the edge and invert the pans to release the cakes.
- Make the frosting: Place the chocolate sandwich cookies in a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs are formed. Set aside.
- Place the 1/2 cup of vegan buttery spread in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Sift in the powdered sugar a little at a time, alternating with a little bit of the non-dairy milk. Keep adding the powdered sugar and non-dairy milk until all the sugar is used up and the frosting is thick and spreadable.
- Remove one cup of the frosting and set aside. Add 2/3 of the cookie crumbs and mix until combined.
- Place one cake on a cake stand that has been lined with parchment paper on the edges (for easy cleanup). Frost the top of this cake, then place the second layer on top.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Place the reserved frosting and the 1/3 cup of cookie crumbs back in the bowl and beat together. (This will be the slightly darker frosting used to decorate the cake).
- Fit an open star tip into a piping bag and put the darker frosting inside. Pipe frosting around the bottom and top edge of the cake.
- If desired, place one half of a cookie in the center of the cake.
- Enjoy! Store leftover cake in the refrigerator.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!