This Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is moist, chewy and super easy to make! You can decorate and customize this cookie cake for a birthday or other special occasion!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 48 minutes
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (108g) loosely packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (52g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (260g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups (211g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (56g) salted butter
- 1/4 cup (48g) shortening
- 1 3/4 cups (201g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (29g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- Add the butter and sugars to a large mixer bowl and beat together to cream them until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat just until combined. Use your spatula to gently finish combining everything to keep from over mixing the cookie dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. The cookie dough will be thick.
- Spread the dough evenly into the prepared cake pan. Place a few more chocolate chips into the top of the cake, if desired.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in the cake pan, then transfer to a serving plate.
- To make the buttercream, add the butter and shortening to a large mixer bowl and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and a tablespoon of water and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more water to get the right consistency.
- Add the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a piping tip (I used Ateco 844) and pipe swirls of frosting around the outer edge of the cake.
- Store cookie cake in an airtight container. Cookie cake is best for 3-4 days.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!