We know, we know, frying cauliflower kinda defeats the purpose of it being a vegetable and all, but it’s SO DAMN DELICIOUS. We took note of how chicken fried steak is prepared and modeled this recipe after that. (Vegetarians, we see you, and you’re welcome.) You slice the cauliflower into thick steaks before dredging it in seasoned flour and beaten egg. Then comes the frying: Don’t be intimidated—you can do a shallow fry. Just get that oil hot.
Chicken Fried Cauliflower
YIELDS: 2 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 5 MINS
COOK TIME: 0 HOURS 30 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 35 MINS
FOR THE FRIED CAULIFLOWER
- 1 large head cauliflower, sliced into 1″-thick steaks
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- FOR THE HOT HONEY
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- Make fried cauliflower: In a large deep-sided skillet, add sliced cauliflower and enough water to come halfway up the sides of cauliflower. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover, and steam until fork-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk together flour, garlic powder, and paprika and season with salt. In another shallow bowl, lightly beat eggs. Toss cooled cauliflower in flour mixture, then eggs, then return to flour mixture and toss again until completely coated.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1″ oil until it starts to bubble and looks shimmery. Carefully add cauliflower and fry until deeply golden, 2 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel–lined plate.
- Make hot honey: In a small bowl, mix together honey and hot sauce.
- Serve fried cauliflower with hot honey.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!