Who needs buns when you’ve got waffles?
Chicken and Waffles Breakfast Sandwich
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 25 MINS
- 1 chicken breast, pounded out to an even thickness
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. + 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1/4 c. + 1/2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. Hot sauce
- Place chicken in 1 cup buttermilk and allow to marinate overnight
- Prepare dredge for chicken by combining 1 cup flour with 2 tsp. salt and cayenne. Remove chicken from buttermilk and coat in flour mixture. Place chicken back in buttermilk and then back into flour for second coating. Heat oil to 350 degrees F and fry chicken for 5 to 7 minutes or until internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached. Set aside.
- To make waffles, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 tsp. salt in large bowl and whisk together. In separate bowl combine 1 lightly beaten egg, 1 cup buttermilk, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk together to form batter. Pour about 1/3 cup (exact amount will depend on your waffle iron) batter onto waffle iron and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown and crisp*.
- Melt butter in pan over medium-low heat and crack in remaining egg. Fry until white is set and yolk is still runny. In small bowl, combine honey and hot sauce.
- To build sandwich, place chicken on waffle and drizzle with hot sauce mixture. Top with fried egg and another waffle.