Who needs buns when you’ve got waffles?
Chicken and Waffles Breakfast Sandwich
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 25 MINS
- 1 chicken breast, pounded out to an even thickness
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. + 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1/4 c. + 1/2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. Hot sauce
- Place chicken in 1 cup buttermilk and allow to marinate overnight
- Prepare dredge for chicken by combining 1 cup flour with 2 tsp. salt and cayenne. Remove chicken from buttermilk and coat in flour mixture. Place chicken back in buttermilk and then back into flour for second coating. Heat oil to 350 degrees F and fry chicken for 5 to 7 minutes or until internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached. Set aside.
- To make waffles, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 tsp. salt in large bowl and whisk together. In separate bowl combine 1 lightly beaten egg, 1 cup buttermilk, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk together to form batter. Pour about 1/3 cup (exact amount will depend on your waffle iron) batter onto waffle iron and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown and crisp*.
- Melt butter in pan over medium-low heat and crack in remaining egg. Fry until white is set and yolk is still runny. In small bowl, combine honey and hot sauce.
- To build sandwich, place chicken on waffle and drizzle with hot sauce mixture. Top with fried egg and another waffle.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!