Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake is a riff on cranberry breakfast cake, which is a take on rhubarb breakfast cake…which is a variation of peaches and cream breakfast cake… you get the idea. This blueberry coffee cake recipe has good bones.
Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 9 servings
- 1 cup (224 grams) granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon, peeled in sprips. You want only the yellow part, not the bitter white pith.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113 g) butter at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cultured buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease and line a 9×9 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- First make the lemon sugar. Put the sugar and lemon zest into a food processor and process until the zest is completely incorporated in to the sugar and it’s pale yellow and fragrant. If you don’t have a processor, just finely grate the zest and mix it into the sugar.
- Cream the sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy, I like to go for a full 5 minutes, scraping down the bowl as necessary. I do this in a stand mixer.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat each one well, and scrape down that bowl! Blend in the vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- Take about a tablespoon of the flour mixture and toss with the blueberries. Then add the rest to the mixer and blend until almost incorporated. Then blend in the buttermilk, just until everything is mixed, but don’t over do it. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the dough (it will be thick) into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it. I like to loosely cover the cake toward the end of baking to keep it from browning too much.
- Let the cake cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!