This delicious blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake is loaded with juicy blueberries and topped with a buttery streusel. It’s perfect for breakfast or anytime!
Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest from one medium lemon
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups + 1 tablespoon flour divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the streusel:
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease an 8″ x 8″ square baking dish or a 9 inch cake pan, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub the zest into the sugar with your fingers, until fragrant. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, the baking powder, and the salt. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mix until nearly combined, then add half of the buttermilk. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and buttermilk, ending with the flour.
- In a small bowl, toss together the blueberries and flour. Add the blueberries to the cake batter, and gently fold in, being careful not to crush the blueberries. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- To make the streusel, combine the butter, flour, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the pieces are no larger than pea sized. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted two inches from the side of the pan comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!