Black and White Cake is an all time kid favorite among our family and friends. A easy one-bowl chocolate cake covered in plenty of fluffy marshmallow frosting is sure to please kids of all ages.
Black and White Cake
Prep Time: 25 MINUTES
Cook Time: 35 MINUTES
Total Time: 1 HOUR
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp . baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup soured milk
- 1 cup brewed black coffee, (or prepare a single cup of instant coffee)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE MARSHMALLOW FROSTING
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tarter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
TO MAKE THE CAKE BATTER
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
TO PREPARE THE MARSHMALLOW FROSTING
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer or when a teaspoonful of the mixture dropped into ice water forms a soft ball that holds its shape when cool.
- Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla extract to soft peaks in a large bowl.
- With the mixer on medium high speed, slowly begin to pour the sugar syrup down the side of the egg white bowl in a thin continuous stream.
- Continue to whip the frosting until it forms stiff peaks.
- Frost your cake immediately with this frosting while it is still slightly warm as it is easier to spread smoothly than if allowed to cool completely.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!