This oven-baked barbecue chicken is just as wonderful and doesn’t dry out with that beautiful layer of sauce on top. It’s the perfect dinner, no matter the weather!
Oven-Baked BBQ Chicken
YIELDS: 8 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 2 HOURS 5 MINS
FOR THE BARBECUE SAUCE
- 1 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1 c. light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground mustard
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 3 lb. bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, drumsticks, and breasts
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Make barbecue sauce: In a large bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, water, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire, molasses, and spices. Reserve 1 cup of sauce for later. Add chicken to remaining barbecue sauce. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Make chicken: Preheat oven to 425° and line a large baking sheet with foil. Place onions on baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and toss to coat. Place chicken on top of onions, skin side up, and bake until golden and internal temperature reaches 165°, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil. Brush chicken with reserved barbecue sauce on both sides and broil until skin is crispy and sauce is thickened, 5 minutes.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!