Homemade Carrot Cake is perfectly moist, tender and delicious. It is surprisingly simple to make and is topped with an easy homemade cream cheese frosting.
Best Homemade Carrot Cake
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hr 30 mins
- Baking Spray for the pans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins (rinsed and drained)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 2 8-inch cake pans with baking spray, cover the bottom to fit with parchment paper and spray again with baking spray. Use 3 pans for thinner layers. Set aside.
- Add raisins to a small bowl, top with boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain well and place on paper towels to dry.
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Whisk to combine and aside.
- Add wet ingredients to a large bowl: eggs, oil, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract. Using a hand mixer (or stand mixer), whisk on medium speed until fully combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and slowly add the dry ingredients mix. Stop from time to time to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Whisk just until fully combined.
- Once combined, stir in shredded carrots, chopped walnuts, and raisins.
- Divide the batter equally into the prepared pans.
- Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking process. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean, about after 25-30 minutes of baking.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the pans. Let it cool in the pans for about 20-30 minutes.
- Invert the cakes onto a plate and then re-invert them onto a cooling rack. Round side up. Cool completely before frosting.
Frost the Cake:
- Prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting according to recipe directions.
- In needed, use a serrated knife or cake leveler, slice the layer’s top to make them flat.
- Add 1/4 cup of frosting onto the bottom of a cake stand.
- Place the first layer onto the cake stand. Add about 1 cup (or more if needed) of frosting onto the cake layer and using an offset spatula, spread the frosting evenly, to create a 1/2-inch layer.
- Add another layer on top and repeat.
- Cover the entire cake with the remaining frosting. Use chopped walnuts to garnish the sides and top edges of the cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours, or until somewhat stiff before serving.
- Stored in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Preferably in an airtight container.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!