Transform the quintessential flavors of fall into this stunning cake complete with pecans as a garnish.
Apple-Cinnamon Layer Cake with Salted Caramel Frosting
PREP TIME: 1 hour 0 mins
COOK TIME: 0 hours 40 mins
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 40 mins
Apple-Cinnamon Layer Cake
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 c. pecan halves
- 3 c. all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 c. packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 c. canola oil
- 3/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 c. diced peeled apples, such as Pink Lady or Granny Smith (from 2 large apples)
Salted Caramel Frosting
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 c. (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 3 c. confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment.
- Spread pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast just until fragrant, 7 to 8 minutes. Cool, then chop.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, and allspice in a bowl. Beat sugars, eggs, oil, applesauce, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined, 45 seconds to 1 minute. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in apples and pecans. Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes, then invert onto racks to cool completely.
- Make frosting: Combine sugar and 6 tablespoons water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, without stirring, until mixture turns a dark amber color, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly add cream and vanilla, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth. Cool 30 minutes. Beat butter and salt with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low and slowly add confectioners’ sugar, scraping down sides as needed. Slowly add cooled caramel. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving platter and top with 3/4 cup Salted Caramel Frosting. Repeat two more times. Frost sides with remaining frosting. Garnish with candied pecans.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!