Amazing real red velvet cake recipe. One bowl, one spatula, one amazing cake! This recipe makes two 8″ round cakes that are 2″ tall. The cake is very light and delicate and very moist. Goes great with cream cheese frosting or ermine buttercream!
Amazing Real Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Red Velvet Cake Ingredients
- 12 ounces (340 g) AP flour
- 14 ounces (397 g) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (2 Tbsp) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (1 tsp) salt
- 1 teaspoon (1 tsp) baking soda
- 2 large (2 ) eggs room temp
- 4 ounces (114 g) vegetable oil
- 8 ounces (227 g) buttermilk room temp
- 1 Tablespoons (1 Tbsp) white vinegar
- 6 ounces (170 g) unsalted butter melted but not hot
- 1 teaspoons (1 tsp) vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tbsp) super red food coloring I prefer americolor super red because it doesn’t have a taste
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 12 ounces (340 g) cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces (227 g) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon (1/2 tsp) orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon (1/4 tsp) salt
- 26 ounces (737 g) powdered sugar sifted
- Stand Mixer
- Paddle Attachment
- Whisk Attachment
Red Velvet Cake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare two 8″ cake pans or three 6″ cake pans with cake goop or preferred pan spray.
Make sure your cold ingredients are all room temperature. See notes at the bottom of the recipe for details.
- Lightly whisk together your room temperature eggs, oil, buttermilk, vinegar, melted butter, vanilla and food coloring and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer
- Add your egg mixture into your flour mixture and mix on medium speed for about a minute until combined
- Divide batter into cake pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly. Pairs perfectly with our cream cheese buttercream.
Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions
- Place softened butter in the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment and cream on low until smooth and has no lumps.
- Place softened cream cheese in the bowl with butter in small chunks and cream on low until smooth and combined
- Add in sifted powdered sugar one cup at a time until combined, mixing on low
- Add your orange extract and salt
- Frost your cooled cake as desired and serve at room temperature. Cream cheese frosting should be refrigerated until a few hours (2-3) before the cake is served.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!